Wednesday, February 17, 2010

DIY Wednesday: Coffee Cozies

Hi Everyone!

I have a long overdue project for this Wednesday. I am a self professed coffee addict, which usually means lots of lattes. I saw this project online a while ago and finally decided to take a stab at it when I was making things to donate to the PIN Auction.

I have step-by-step directions on how to make a wonderful coffee cozy for you hot beverages (or cold...I wrap them around a diet coke every once in a while)

I got most of my steps from a Tutorial by House on a Hill. I also mixed in some other advice I found on the internet.



Step One: Cut Out the Fabric



There are several ways you can make a pattern. There are patterns floating around the internet or you can do what I did and use a old paper cozy from the local coffee shop. Give yourself at least a 1/4 inch seam allowance. You will need to cut 2 pieces of fabric (outside and inside) and batting. I used the same fabric for the outside as I did for the inside, but you can have a solid inside fabric if you would like.

Step Two: Attach Hair Tie



There's no special trick to attaching the hair tie, but you'll want to use the piece of fabric you're going to use on the front/outside of the cozy. Place the hair tie in the middle and make sure half the hair tie is on the fabric and half of it is off the fabric. You are going to sew the hair tie on to the front of the fabric. Use a zig-zag stitch and go over the hair tie repeatedly (10 or so times). Stitch a 1/4 inch in from the edge of the fabric. If you go in too far, the stitch will show when you're done (and that's just not pretty).



Step Three: Attach Layers



Pin the layers in this order: batting, outside fabric with the fabric design facing up, and the inside fabric with the fabric design facing down.

Step Four: Sew Layers Together



Now, with a 1/4 inch seam allowance, sew around the layers. You will want to leave a 2 inch opening on the bottom (to use to turn the cozy inside-out).

Step Five: Turn the Cozy Inside-Out



Pretty simple, but turn the cozy inside out through the two inch opening. I used a pen to push out the corners.



Step Six: Iron the Cozy Flat



Iron the cozy flat with the two inch opening folded in. Make sure you have tucked enough fabric into the opening so the 1/4 inch seam will be sufficant enough to keep the opening closed.

Step Seven: Sew Around Cozy



Sew around the entire cozy 1/4 inch from the edge.

Step Eight: Attach Button

This step is pretty easy. You will just have to fold over the cozy to see where the hairtie will hit on the other side. Mark the place with a pen through the button holes. I have a button attachment for my sewing machine, so I just followed the directions in my sewing machine manual. If you don't have this attachment, you could handsew the buttons.

Step Nine: You're Finished! Go Get a Latte!



Share:

No comments

Blogger Template Created by pipdig