Thursday, February 25, 2010

DIY Wednesday: Glucose Meter Cover

Hello There!

It's time for another mini tutorial. I was diagnosed with gestational diabetes during my pregnancy and got the pleasure of testing my blood sugar every day. Since I was going to be carrying around this meter, I figured the cover could be spruced up from the plain old black.

Now, this cover isn't all that refined. I could have been a bit more meticulous with the finishing of it, but it does the trick and only took me about 20 minutes to make the cover.



Step One: Grab a Tape Measure & Figure Out What the Heck To Do



Here is the case for the tester. Plain ol' nylon case. So, I first measured it. I could have made an entirely new case. That probably would have looked nicer..maybe I'll try that in the future. But I just wanted to make something that I could sew right on top of this nylon case.



So, I made a simple retangle based off these measurements. I cut the fabric with 1/2 inch allotements around the case for the hemming. I ironed the 1/2 of an inch under, then I did a stitch all the way around a 1/4 inch from the edge.

I went ahead and made some pockets. I measured the area on the front and back of the case and cut pockets to match (once again allowing a 1/2 inch for hemming). I ironed the pockets so a 1/2 of an inch was tucked under. Before attaching the pockets to the main piece of fabric, I went ahead and did a stitch along the top of the fabric, a 1/4 of an inch from the edge. I then attached the pockets with a a 1/4 inch stitch.

Step Two: Pin It

So next I pinned the fabric to the cover. Now, I realized that I shouldn't have made square corners. I should have rounded the corners. No matter, I tucked the fabric under to fit the corners.

Step Three: Sew Dos Fabric

In order to get really close to the zipper, I used the zipper attachment on my sewing machine.



Finished Cover



Share:

No comments

Blogger Template Created by pipdig