Saturday, April 24, 2010

DIY Wednesday: Owl Art

Hello,

Man, can you say busy? Over the past couple of weeks, I have completed finals, graduated from law school and am expecting my first child in the next week. It's been a life changing couple of weeks. So, you'll have excuse my inability to post on a regular schedule. I'm hoping things get into a routine once our little Lila arrives.

On a very exciting note, my owl crib mobile was featured on my favorite craft blog, One Pretty Thing. If you are into crafts, her website is definitely a must bookmark.

If you've ever wanted to make some sort of art for your walls, I have an idea for you to try. I created this art for my nursery, but the design could easily be adapted for art in any room. I was thinking you could do something with a quote in a modern like style or your family name or use any other animal that matches your nursery theme. For a printable PDF tutorial, click here.



Supplies:

Stretched Canvas

Scrapbook Paper

Acrylic Paint

Paint Brushes
(Sponge brushes will work just fine)

Mod Podge
(I prefer to use the Matte finish)

Scissors

Directions:

Step One: Paint Canvas





Using your acrylic paint, paint the entire canvas with sponge brush. I decided to create a “cloud” effect by taking a wet washcloth and blotting the wet paint to let a bit of the white canvas show through. You will probably have to do more than one coat of paint to cover the white canvas.

Step Two: Cut Scrapbook Paper



You could design anything to go on the canvas. You could use a name or do an entire quote. I did owls because my nursery theme is owls. I got this design idea from a fellow crafter on BabyCenter, MichelleLouie. Check out her Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/ytlou.

If you had a Cricut, you would be set. Just use it to make some fun art and then move on to the next step.

To create my design, I just used the program “Paint” to create the image, then I printed it off. I traced the pattern on to the scrapbook paper and cut it out.

Step Three: Place on Canvas



You will want to create your design by doing “layers.” You will first put Mod Podge on the canvas to glue the paper to the canvas. Once you have put the paper on to the canvas, you will want to do a light layer of Mod Podge across the top of the paper. You will notice that it will at first create a white-ish layer of glue. That will disappear as it dries. You may want to do additional layers after the first layer dries for added protection.

Step Four: Finished Product





Enjoy your one-of-a-kind work of art!

Share:

No comments

Blogger Template Created by pipdig