Sunday, October 9, 2011

DIY Sunday: Simple Artwork

Hi Everyone,

I was on a craft spree this weekend even with family visiting. My brother came out Friday and my parents on Saturday. I did this artwork on Friday night while I was waiting to pick my husband up from a vet school social function (2:30 am). I had a piece of artwork that I had done in a few years ago. I was sick of it, and I was trying to figure out something to do with it. I tried to Mod Podge a chevron design on it. It wasn't attractive. I, of course, realized it was not attractive after I had already started it. So I had a partial chevron design on a canvas in my living room. Also not attractive...and confusing to everyone who came over (is that supposed to be art?!?) It was time to change it up.



I got the tutorial from A Beautiful Mess Blog. It's such a clever process that is super cheap to do! The canvas can be a reject painting from your house or Goodwill, one bottle of acrylic paint and one thing of Vinyl Letters for $2.50. I did a lyric from Somewhere Over the Rainbow. It's a song that has a lot of meaning in my life. I am a big fan of the Wizard of Oz, and I walked down the aisle to the song.

I'm quite happy about how mine turned out!


The chevron design showing through a light coat of a paint. I kinda like it like this ha! I had used just plain white printing paper to make the design and then attempted to peel it off before I did this project. Now it kinda looks cool. Oh well...maybe I'll try that for a different project.


Setting out the vinyl letters.



Final result! The tutorial uses white paint, but after much discussion with my mom, we thought white was going to be too boring for all the empty space I left on the canvas. My husband does not like the blank space but I do.


The yellow is much lighter than it's appearing it. A bit of the white is showing through. I like that look. A bit distressed looking.




Share:

No comments

Blogger Template Created by pipdig